(I am not the original photographer of this photo nor do I own the rights to it.)
There are several factors that we’re considering:
1. The city where we will be located. Unfortunately, not all cities have a good public school system.
2. The student-teacher ratio. In my opinion, a student-teacher ratio over 22:1 (K-5) is too high, especially without a full-time aid.
3. I would like to know how behavior problems are handled at that school. I went to a school where students were so disruptive, the teacher spent most of her time on class control.
4. I would like to know how they support children with different learning styles and needs.
5. I’m interested in knowing with extracurricular activities and advantages the school can offer (sports/foreign languages/music…).
6. And also, what standards the teachers are held to. Are teachers expected to communicate with parents frequently (emails/meetings…).